SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#490087 - 02/23/20 10:30 PM "how to play better" posts get no attention - why?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I don't understand this. When Donny posts about keyboards he gets a flood of replies. This time he posted a fine tutorial on how to improve your playing skills (arpeggios), and.....it gets ignored....it flops.

Are my to believe that no matter WHO posts a "tutorial," ...nobody is interested in getting better? Not better keyboards. Better playing.

piano arpeggio tutorial

#490108 - 02/24/20 03:03 AM Re: "how to play better" posts get no attention - why? [Re: Mark79100]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Mark, most people are not where you are, John C.

#490109 - 02/24/20 03:20 AM Re: "how to play better" posts get no attention - why? [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

I can't agree but I have heard people say
"arranger keyboard playing is a lazy mans game"?...
most don't use 88 keys but that doesn't mean the arpeggio technic cannot be used on 61 or 76 keys also to embellish your playing style

#490115 - 02/24/20 04:49 AM Re: "how to play better" posts get no attention - why? [Re: Mark79100]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Mark79100
I don't understand this. When Donny posts about keyboards he gets a flood of replies. This time he posted a fine tutorial on how to improve your playing skills (arpeggios), and.....it gets ignored....it flops.

Are my to believe that no matter WHO posts a "tutorial," ...nobody is interested in getting better? Not better keyboards. Better playing.

Here's why, Mark. Most of the active members here are 65+ years old. They are NOT interested in 'learning to play better', they are more interested in SOUNDING BETTER with the playing level they're currently in. That's why many (but not all) are playing arranger keyboards in the first place. In other words, let the improvements come from the keyboard, not their improved playing technique. John C. said it correctly, "Mark, most people are not where you are, John C.". Not to tick you off Mark, but we can't expect everyone to share our musical goals and aspirations. Although I think it's admirable to try to improve oneself, musically and every other way, 'til the day we die, some of us, at a certain age, are satisfied with the level we've reached in certain specialized areas (like playing keyboards) and would rather devote that time to other priorities (like fishing, golf, and watching football smile ). And that's okay, too.

As far as arpeggio's go, I've never had a problem going up, it's going down that is hard for me (this could be a problem when my time comes smile smile ). I agree with you that it would be nice if the forum had more discussions about music itself but on this forum, to paraphrase a popular song, 'it's all about the gear'. Also, ol' farts like to talk about their health problems and reminisce about days gone by. Welcome to the 'golden years'.

chas

#490117 - 02/24/20 04:58 AM Re: "how to play better" posts get no attention - why? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Chas not only on Piano but if you watch Hammond players
like Tony Monaco, Joey D, etc, do fast runs up and down makes me drool....
I would assume that takes the same amount of practice
and exercises to be successful and a great keybed also..

#490121 - 02/24/20 05:15 AM Re: "how to play better" posts get no attention - why? [Re: Mark79100]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I don't drool over 'fast runs' as such. I admire the player's technique but as far as I'm concerned, 'fast runs' are the domain of the piano player. Also, fast runs just for the sake of fast runs isn't necessarily musical. Like any other playing technique, you use what the song calls for. Some of the greatest and most memorable jazz organ performances don't feature 'fast runs', just tons of feelings and emotions. If you're trying to impress someone with your pianistic skills, then arpeggios are great, but it is only one of a gazillion 'tools' one can employ to capture the essence of a song.

chas

#490122 - 02/24/20 05:24 AM Re: "how to play better" posts get no attention - why? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Chas you are right in being able to do Runs effortlessly
certainly is impressive and is an essential tool for the player when needed. A great keybed is also needed.

#490135 - 02/24/20 08:45 AM Re: "how to play better" posts get no attention - why? [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Title of the link says it, Piano Arpeggios. I think most Arranger players are happy holding a chord in the LH and doing simple melodies or fills with the RH. You don't use many Arrpeggios on organ either. They lend themselves best to a sustained sound which an organ can't do.
As for runs, its practicing scales and arpeggios of all kinds in all keys and then using that as a foundation for your own runs. I still do dimishied arrpeggios for a good finger strech and warmup on piano. I like Tony monaco better that Joed D for the simple reason he doesn't just take off with super fast runs which I think can take away from the song. Some are OK but Joey goes ballistic. I was just listening to him the other day and thought the same thing. Because you can doen't mean you should and sometimes a lot is too much.

#490151 - 02/24/20 11:17 AM Re: "how to play better" posts get no attention - why? [Re: Bill Lewis]

Do you learn arpeggios and scale just to play them?
Are the good for fill ins?

Yes, but the important part is neither. Practicing both the Arps and scales gives you a command of the instrument – like lifting weight helps whatever.

I was a fair guitar player, hmmm, maybe just above fair. (smile)
When my guitar teacher gave me arpeggios and scales to practice, I was all over the guitar – comfortable in any position.

The speed of a note in my head to the note on the guitar was many times faster. In short I became a better guitar player.

When I went to a keyboard, I used the same principles; my learning time was cut in half.

Just saying, John C

#490152 - 02/24/20 11:19 AM Re: "how to play better" posts get no attention - why? [Re: bruno123]

When I entered the market to sell securities, I took public speaking and two sales courses. Did they improve the numbers on my commission check? I was the leading sales rep. in a group of 32 seasoned sales men,
for 1 ½ years.

John C.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online